Anti-social Behaviour

You are responsible for your behaviour at all times, in your home and your neighbourhood.

You are also responsible for the behaviour of your family, other people living in your home and any visitors. If you cause a nuisance to your neighbours, or other people living in your neighbourhood, you're breaking your tenancy conditions. We ask you not to cause any kind of nuisance to others and to let us know if someone in your neighbourhood is causing a nuisance. Where possible, we aim to prevent anti-social behaviour and we rely on you to help us.

What is Anti-social Behaviour

The Anti-Social Behaviour Act 2003 defines anti-social behaviour as any conduct to which sections 153A (1) and 153B (2) of the Housing Act 1996 Act apply. These sections apply to conduct which:

  • is capable of causing nuisance or annoyance to any person; and directly or indirectly relates to or affects the housing management functions of a relevant landlord; or
  • consists of or involves using or threatening to use housing accommodation owned or managed by a relevant landlord for an unlawful purpose.

The Anti-Social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014 was introduced to streamline the existing tools and powers available to deal with anti-social behaviour. 

Anti-social behaviour is day-to-day incidents of crime, nuisance and disorder that make many people’s lives a misery – from litter and vandalism, to public drunkenness or aggressive dogs, to noisy or abusive neighbours. Such a wide range of behaviours means that responsibility for dealing with anti-social behaviour is shared between a number of agencies, particularly the police, councils and social landlords.


  • Drug or substance misuse and dealing
  • Alcohol-related behaviour
  • Prostitution
  • Begging
  • Noise nuisance
  • Rowdy behaviour
  • Uncontrolled animals or dangerous dogs (according to the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991)
  • Acts directed at people (harassment, intimidation, abuse, threats, phone calls, hate incidents)
  • Physical violence (other than domestic violence)
  • Other nuisance behaviour

We can help if you have a problem with your neighbours, are suffering from anti-social behaviour or more serious issues such as hate crime incidents.

Click here to find out more about verbal abuse

Click here to find out more about Vehicle Nuisance

Click here to find out more about pets

Click here to find out more about Noise Nuisance

Click here to find out more about Indecent Offences

Click here to find out more about hoarding

Click here to find out more about garden nuisance

Click here to find out more about Drunk and Rowdy Behaviour

Click here to find out more about drugs

Click here to find out more about domestic abuse

Click here to find out more about criminal behaviour

Click here to find out more about communal area nuisance

Click here to find out more about arson fire

Click here to find out more about aggressive behaviour


Hate Crime Button

Click here to find out more about hate crime

How we deal with Anti-social Behaviour

We have a Team that deals with all types of issues working in partnership with the police, local Councils and other organisations to tackle issues affecting individuals and the wider community.

If you report an issue to us an officer will contact you to discuss the case and explain what we can do to help.

Antisocial Behaviour Policy

What you can do to help resolve things

The vast majority of cases can be dealt with before serious action is needed.

In cases of neighbour nuisance, where possible speak to your neighbour about the issues first. This is often all that you need to do, although we understand that sometimes this is not possible or something you might feel comfortable doing.

We will discuss any actions you may need to take yourself. If necessary you may be asked to keep a record of incidents. We sometimes need records where we might want to prove a particular nuisance is occurring.

How to report Anti-social Behaviour

You can report it to us here and provide as many details as possible.

The Community Trigger

Anti-social behaviour case review

Responding to, and tackling, anti-social behaviour is a priority for all community safety partners across all the areas across the Midlands, which is made up of a number of organisations brought together to bring those causing anti-social behaviour to justice and to provide support for those affected by it.

What is the ‘community trigger’?

The community trigger gives anyone who has reported anti-social behaviour the right to request a review of their case. It is also known as an ‘anti-social behaviour case review’.  This review can be requested if someone doesn't feel their concerns have been dealt with, acted upon, or that organisations have been unable to resolve the serious persistent, or targeted, anti-social behaviour successfully.

The aim of the review is to see whether anything else can be done and possibly find solutions that may not have been considered.

Generally the community trigger process is managed by the local council on behalf of the other organisations that will be involved in the review, such as the police, local health teams and housing providers.

When to use the community trigger

You can use the community trigger if you have reported three or more related incidents of anti-social behaviour, within the last six months.

It doesn’t matter who the anti-social behaviour has been reported to. It could be the council, the police or your landlord.

You can also apply for the community trigger on behalf of someone else, but you must provide their consent along with the application form.

When not to use the community trigger

The community trigger is not intended to be an alternative to our complaints procedure

How to use the community trigger

To use the community trigger to request an anti-social behaviour case review, you must complete the application form on your local Council’s website. You can find your local Council here 

Community Safety Partnerships

Community Safety Partnerships are made up of representatives from the police, Local Authorities, fire and rescue authorities, health and probation services, housing associations and other partners.

The responsible authorities work together to protect their local communities from crime and to help people feel safer. They work out how to deal with local issues including antisocial behaviour, drug or alcohol misuse and re-offending. They annually assess local crime priorities and consult partners and the local community about how to deal with them.

Derbyshire Community Safety Partnership
Safer Lincolnshire Partnership
South Notts Community Safety Partnership
Safer Leicestershire Partnership
South Worcestershire Community Safety Partnership
Birmingham Community Safety Partnership