Dangerous Dogs

Some dogs can become aggressive and bite other people or animals.

Under the law any dog (of any breed or type) can be considered dangerous in any place if it is not kept under control. The dog doesn’t have to bite anyone; it could just show aggressive behaviour.

If you are in fear of your safety, please contact the Police immediately on 101 or report the dangerous dog to your Local Authority Dog Warden Service.

Once you have reported this to the Police/Local Authority, please use this form.

2024 XL Bully Dogs Ban Guidance

Following a rise in attacks and fatalities caused by XL Bully dogs, the Government has added this breed to the list of dogs banned under the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991.

If you own an XL Bully dog or puppy you need to comply with all the new requirements for this breed of dog. Even if you are not 100% sure if your dog is an XL Bully, the government is recommending that a precautionary approach is taken and that you also comply with the new requirements, listed below:

From 31 December 2023 it will be against the law to:

  • Sell an XL Bully dog
  • Abandon an XL Bully dog or let it stray
  • Give away an XL Bully dog
  • Breed from an XL Bully dog
  • Have an XL Bully in public without a lead and muzzle

From 1 February 2024 it will be a criminal offence to own an XL Bully dog in England and Wales unless the dog has a Certificate of Exemption.

If you wish to keep you XL Bully dog after the ban, you must apply for a Certificate of Exemption by 31 January 2024. If you successfully secure an Exemption Certificate for your dog, you need to let us know to ensure that our records are up to date. You can do this by completing our online enquiry form here  or calling our Customer Hub on 0333 200 7304.

When we receive your certificate of exemption, we will confirm this in writing to you and outline our expectations, which will include securing your dog during any visits from Platform colleagues.

To get a Certificate of Exemption for your dog, you must:

  1. Get third party public liability insurance cover for your dog. 
  2. Permanently neuter your dog if it’s not already neutered. A vet must confirm if your dog is already neutered. Further guidance is available at
  3. Pay a £92.40 fee for each dog you want to keep. The fee is not refundable. 
  4. Apply for a Certificate of Exemption to keep an XL Bully dog  -

To keep your XL Bully dog it must be:

  • Microchipped
  • Kept on a lead and muzzled at all times when in public
  • Kept in a secure place so it cannot escape
  • Neutered

As the owner, you must:

  • Be over 16 years old
  • Take out third party public liability insurance against your dog injuring other people
  • Be able to show the Certificate of Exemption when asked by a police officer or a council dog warden, either at the time or within 5 days

Further information

The government has a section on their website sharing how you can prepare for the ban –


Dog Fouling

Dog owners can be given an on-the-spot fine by the Local Authority if they do not clear up after their dog. The amount varies from council to council.

1. Talk to your neighbour
Try speaking to your neighbours, they may not be aware their actions are disturbing you.

2. Let us know
You can report this by using this form.

3. Next steps
We will arrange the area to be cleaned/cleared if this is a communal area owned by us. If we are aware of the pet owner and have evidence to support who is responsible for the incident they will be held liable for this cost.

4. Contact your Local Authority
If the offence took place in a public area such as a pavement or park, please contact the Local Authority who will make contact with your neighbour and possibly issue a fine if you are able to provide them with sufficient evidence

Dogs Barking

We only consider dogs barking to be anti-social behaviour if it's persistent

1. Talk to your neighbour
Try speaking to your neighbours, they may not be aware their actions are disturbing you.

2. Contact us
You can report this by using this form. We will investigate the report that has been made and an action plan will be agreed which will include use of the Noise App and/or keeping a record.

3. Noise App
If you don’t feel safe approaching your neighbour, or you have tried speaking to your neighbour and the situation has not improved, the noise app is your next step. Find out more about the Noise App.

4. Keep a record
If you are unable to use the Noise App, keep a record of dates, times, the incident and the impact on you/your family. This is so we can monitor the situation, working closely with the police to take the necessary action.

5. Environmental Health
You may also be advised to contact and report this to your local Environmental Health Officer. Should they take enforcement action, we will use this as evidence against the perpetrator if appropriate. You may also be asked

6. Mediation
If the situation has not improved, mediation might be of help to you. It’s an informal, confidential and independent service available to help neighbours sort out their differences and reach an agreement. They can help you and your neighbour(s) understand each other’s point of view and reach a solution.  Please ask and we will refer you. 

We require customers to seek permission for keeping any pets, and an agreement must be signed  stating they will look after the animals and not allow them to cause nuisance.  If you feel that an animal is not being well looked after, please consider reporting to the RSPCA.