Our Insurance Arrangements

Platform Housing Group arranges Insurance Cover for our properties against damage caused by incidents and accidents falling into different categories. The arrangements differ depending on the type of property and the type of tenancy agreement that is in place:

There are two main types of insurance that should be considered in relation to your home: Contents and Buildings insurance (more details can be found in the sections below).

Contents Insurance

It is your responsibility to arrange insurance for your possessions and liabilities. Platform arranges a Buildings Insurance policy for the main structure of your home but does not arrange Household Contents Insurance for you. Contents policies are designed to complement the Buildings policy and can include options for additional cover and benefits such as legal advice or representation for common problems.     

To protect you against your liabilities to us and for losses that you may otherwise suffer without cover, it is recommended that you obtain at least a basic Tenants Liability Insurance Cover to provide you with peace of mind and financial security in case anything goes wrong. Although the cost might seem hard to justify or see the benefit of to some, especially if you have few possessions, this type of policy can provide far more help and assurance than just replacing physical possessions as well as peace of mind and financial security.

Just some options to find insurance are -

Compare the Market
Go Compare

Home Contents Insurance

Platform Housing Group feels it is important to protect your belongings and suggest that you look for providers who are regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). Platform teamed up with Thistle Tenant Risks who provide specialist Tenants Contents Insurance policies. Thistle Insurance Services are a company that specialises in social housing contents insurance, however there are also other providers that can be found on comparison websites such as -

Compare the Market
Go Compare


Home Contents Insurance

Why do I need it?

Platform Housing Group does not cover your contents as part of the tenancy agreement. It’s a good idea to consider what a home contents insurance policy would cover you for in order to help you make an informed decision on whether you need one.

Contents insurance is designed to help protect your possessions. No matter how careful you are, there’s always a risk that your belongings could be broken, damaged or stolen so home contents insurance can help provide peace of mind should the worst happen.

My Home Contents Insurance

We have teamed up with Thistle Tenant Risks who provide specialist Tenants Contents Insurance policies. My Home Contents Insurance is a specialist insurance scheme provided by Thistle Tenant Risks and all tenants living in social and affordable housing are eligible to apply.

My Home Contents Insurance scheme can offer you insurance for the contents of your home including cover for items such as furniture, carpets, curtains, clothes, bedding, electrical items, jewellery, pictures and ornaments.

10 Reasons to choose My Home Contents Insurance

• Apply over the telephone or complete an application form

• No excess (you don’t pay the first part of the claim)

• Covers theft, water damage, fire and many more household risks

• Covers tenants improvements (up to £2000 or 20% of the sum insured, whichever is the greatest)

• Covers theft or attempted theft of contents in sheds, outbuildings and garages (up to £3,000) 

• Covers damage to external glazing for which you are responsible

• Covers replacement and installation of locks for outside doors or windows and alarms, if keys are lost or stolen

• You don’t need to have special door or window locks (just a lockable front door) 

• All postcodes are included

• Flexible regular Pay-As-You-Go payment options (fortnightly and monthly premiums include a transaction charge). 

Who is this policy for?

Thistle Tenant Risks Contents Insurance has been designed to meet the demands and needs of social housing residents looking to purchase home contents insurance and Thistle have approached a single insurer Ageas Insurance Limited. The cover is subject to the terms, conditions, limitations and exclusions contained in the AGEAS MY HOME Policy Wording [pdf] 170KB which you should read carefully.

The premiums and payment methods available are shown on the Rate Card [pdf] 104KB.  Please note fortnightly and monthly premiums include a transaction change. 

If you are unsure whether this insurance policy is right for you please contact Thistle Tenant Risks who will be happy to help with your queries. 

How do I get further information?

Here's how you can apply for home contents insurance -

PhoneYou can request a call back

Just complete a call back form here My Home - Call Back.pdf [pdf] 47KB  


or complete an  AGEAS MY HOME Application Pack [pdf] 191KB or by calling Thistle Tenant Risks on 0345 450 7288.
Alternatively, visit https://www.thistlemyhome.co.uk/ for more information.

Prior to completing the application form, please review the Insurance Product Information Document [pdf] 47KB  and Thistle Insurance Services Terms of Business Agreement [pdf] 179KB. These documents give you important information on your rights and how we deal with you and your insurance and key information regarding the insurance cover.  Please note that all Tenant Risks business is arranged on a non-advised basis. This means that you will be provided with the key information to be able to make an informed decision on which cover is appropriate for your needs.

What to do if you have a complaint

It is always the intention to give you the best possible service but if you do have any questions or concerns about this insurance or the handling of a claim you should follow the procedure. 

A copy of Thistle Insurance Services complaint’s procedure is available on request. For additional information, view our complaints page www.thistlemyhome.co.uk/Make-a-Complaint  


The National Housing Federation is an Appointed Representative of Thistle Insurance Services Ltd. Thistle Insurance Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority FRN 310419. Registered in England under No. 00338645. Registered office: Rossington’s Business Park, West Carr Road, Retford, Nottinghamshire, DN22 7SW. Thistle Insurance Services Ltd is part of the PIB Group. 

Our Data Protection Privacy Policy is online at https://www.thistleinsurance.co.uk/Privacy-Policy 

Buildings Insurance

Platform Housing Group insures the structure of your home against damage or destruction caused by events as Fire, Storm and Flooding. It is important that our customers appreciate that our policy, like all Insurance policies, has exclusions and limits to what is covered.

The policy is intended to cover the main building structure, including fixtures and fittings and other permanent items such as your kitchen units and sanitary ware. Your possessions and some or parts of the building including decorations, along with your personal liabilities, including your liability to us if you damage the property, are not covered by this policy as they are expected to be covered by your Contents policy.

Shared Ownership and Leasehold Properties

For more information on what is and what is not covered by the Buildings Insurance policy we arrange for shared ownership or leasehold properties, please view our summary of cover: Buildings insurance Summary of Cover 2021-22 [pdf] 259KB

The summary is an overview and it is important to note the restrictions and conditions of cover, particularly if the property is going to be unoccupied for any period of time.   

The policy does not include Contents Insurance Cover. It is the responsibility of our customer to arrange Contents Insurance to protect their possessions and their liabilities to the public, or to us under the terms of the agreement we have with you.

Claims against this policy are managed on our behalf by Gallagher Insurance Brokers, who should be contacted in the first instance to report incidents and to answer any queries. If the team at Gallagher is unable to assist you for whatever reason please let us know so that we can get involved by emailing us at insurance@platformhg.com with details.

Properties other than Shared Ownership or Leasehold

Platform Housing Group arranges Buildings Insurance for our properties. The arrangements are intended to provide good value for money along with high levels of service, assurance and protection for the Group and our customers.

Should you have any questions or queries in relation to our insurance arrangements or you require copies of any certificates or policies for a lender or other party, please contact us with details of the property and your requirements at insurance@platformhg.com.

If you need to request a repair please follow the advice and process here: www.platformhg.com/report-a-repair