Right to Acquire

Right to Acquire allows most housing association tenants to buy their home at a discount. You can apply to buy your housing association home if you’ve had a public sector landlord for three years.

Couple holding a house keyring

Find more information on the Government website

You can provisionally check your eligibility  as well as start the application process.

There are several eligibility criteria so please check these carefully before beginning your application.

Once you have completed the form, just send it to us using the information found in our Frequently Asked Questions below.

Frequently Asked Questions

All completed applications should be sent to RTB Team, 1700 Solihull Parkway, Birmingham Business Park, Solihull, B37 7YD. If you would like to check the progress of your existing application or have any questions relating to either scheme please email us at Righttobuy-acquire@platformhg.com. A member of our Right to Buy Team will get in touch within five working days of receiving your enquiry.


Check Zoopla and Rightmove for recently sold properties in your area.

Initially we have 4 weeks to process your application.  Throughout the process we’ll let you know at each stage what the timescales are to complete to help with the purchasing of your property.

Each scheme uses different calculations for purchasing your property - please use the Right to Aquire discount sheet

You will still need to continue to pay service charges to your landlord if you buy your flat or maisonette. Service charges are what you have to pay towards repairs, maintenance, major building works such as re-roofing and services provided for the upkeep of communal areas shared by other residents and management costs. They can be quite substantial, particularly in large blocks of flats.

It is important you study the offer notice carefully as this will tell you the likely costs you will be asked to pay. 

Up to three family members can purchase alongside a tenant if they have resided in the property for the last 12 months and it is their main home.  Proof of residency will be required.

All application forms must be submitted with a hand written signature from all applicants. If an application is submitted with an electronic signature you will be asked to resign the relevant page and resubmit causing delay to the processing of your application.

Shared Ownership and Leasehold Properties

Read More

SO Houses